Fly Back In Time

May 29, 2009

More than decoration: Julie's Testimony


I've always been exposed to Christianity, the local church, sound doctrine and biblical relationships. For the first 14 years of my life I was comfortable with who I was, where I lived, who my friends were, and what I was doing with my life. I had accepted Christ when I was 8 and I was living like I thought a Christian should. I was participating in things at the church, I had great godly friends, I was pretty obedient to my parents and got along with my brother most of the time. Sure I did things wrong, but I knew that if I asked God for forgiveness that he would grant that to me and that Jesus had already paid the punishment for my sin. I knew the right answers, I knew the right way to live, I knew the right scriptures to quote. But I didn't know that being a Christian was much more than that.

When I was 14 I attended the Xtreme conference at Metro Life Church, the local church that I had grown up in. It was the first time that I had been to the conference and I was really looking forward to it, and had a lot of faith for what God was going to do in everyone there. Everyone, except me. Sure I had a measly amount of faith for God revealing himself to me, but I honestly didn't really want that to happen. I like my comfortable little bubble and I didn't want God to pop in and change it. Here's a tip for you though...don't put God in a bubble...he will eventually pop it and radically change your perspective and your life.

At that conference I realized that I was not living my life completely committed to God. I was living with false assurance. All my faith was in a prayer that I prayed one night in my living room at the ripe old age of 8. I lived my life riding on the coat tails of my parents beliefs and convictions, without owning them for myself. Another tip...living this way produces nothing but empty, worthless fruit. It's kinda like the fake plastic fruit...looks pretty and real on the outside, but the inside is hard, hollow sometimes, and cannot be used for anything but decoration. I realized that weekend that I was nothing more than a decoration on the shelf of Christianity and that God would not take me off the shelf to use me unless I pleaded with the Lord to change me...to pop my bubble.

Over the past few years, the Lord has continuously and faithfully been changing and molding my heart into what HE wants it to look like. He has graciously allowed me to see his hand in so many things and has taken me on an incredible journey. He changed my perspective dramatically during my trips to Bolivia and China, he is still helping me grow in humility and patience with my sisters, he has given me amazing relationships with my parents and friends, and has provided me with jobs that provide many opportunities to share the gospel with my co-workers. But most of all he has drawn me to himself through the power of his word. God's scripture is amazingly relevant and full of life. It has everything you need for your life...it lacks absolutely nothing. The promises it holds about our Savior should change your life every day...and if they don't then please evaluate your heart.

Now don't get the wrong idea. I did not change overnight...ask my parents or my friends. But my heart began to melt, I began to have a passion for the things of God like never before, and I started to have discernment and wisdom about things, instead of relying solely on my parents to tell me what to do and how to behave. It's amazing how the Lord grants us the desires of our hearts when we truly submit to him and his sovereign care and discipline in our lives. It hurts, there are tears, frustration, and lots of questions about what God is doing. I've lost relationships, I've changed directions many times, I've fallen short even more times. But there is reward, joy, happiness and abundant blessing that comes from living completely surrendered to Him. My dad tells me all the time, "There is much reward in righteous living." He is right...and the reward far outweighs the difficulties that are on the road of sanctification.

My testimony so far is not what I would call extraordinary. But then I've realized that it's not about my specific story, in fact it's not about me at all. It's about God taking an ordinary sinner like me, and doing extraordinary things in her life. Only Jesus Christ is able to accomplish that. If I may take this moment to encourage you all to not just be a decoration. I lived as a "Christian" for 6 years without really doing anything for God. I was seeking to serve only myself, and as scripture says you cannot serve two masters. Now I know that I belong to God. My life is committed to him and I have never been more in love with my savior. I'm more than just a decoration...I'm a trophy of grace, a daughter of the King of Kings, a sinner that has been rescued by the redeeming blood of Christ, and I give my life to love him always. Don't be fake...God can see right through that. Be real, be genuine, and be open...share what God has given you. It is the most beautiful thing to see someone used by God in the way that he intends. So, get yourself down off the shelf, dust off your hearts, pray for change, and ask God to humble you and pop your bubble. He will do great things because he is a great God.

~Julie

1 comment:

  1. I was so encouraged by this line, "There is much reward in righteous living... the reward far outweighs the difficulties that are on the road of sanctification".

    It can be so easy at times to forget that truth. But it's very important not to!

    Thanks for this post! I look forward to reading more of these! :)

    ReplyDelete