Fly Back In Time

Jul 8, 2009

Thinking about Entertainment and Movies


If you meet someone, and there is this really awkward silence, let me make a suggestion: talk about a recent movie that came out. It covers for a lot of socially embarrassing situations, where a mutual friend introduces you to someone, you exchange pleasantries, and then you stare at each other and smile, not knowing what to say. Eventually there is the “uh, I gotta go talk to…” and you walk off saying “Nice to meet you.” Trust me, I’ve used this fool-proof strategy many times. Chances are, you have found common ground because EVERYONE likes watching movies. Plus, who in their right mind covers awkward moments by saying, “So, tell me about your sin?” Well, I can name like two people in my life who have done that, one is now a very close friend, the other was my middle school basketball coach at Covenant Life and had an influence on my life. I’m just saying…if you want surface relationships that don’t mean anything, if you want to talk about something completely frivolous without doing any hard work, if you are completely content with your friendships and don’t want any new ones, this is the perfect strategy. “So, have you seen (insert movie here) yet?” is bound to make for at least a 10 minute conversation. Then, the social duty done, you can leave the conversation patting yourself on the back for yet again reaching out to someone new.

This idea of entertainment is age old. The gladiators killed each other to the delight of roaring crowds. The Olympics have been a part of the Greek culture since it began, leading into our modern day obsession with star athletes. Christians were burned alive, called “human candles” to crowds that soon became very bored and demanded that they be killed by a lion, so at least they could see some action. The idea of “theatre” has been around a very long time, too. Ever heard of Shakespeare? He was a genius, and crowds flocked to his plays to watch daring swordfights, crazy madmen, romantic comedies, and every type of modern day genres you can think of. Nothing about the entertainment industry today, particularly movies, can be called original, except that we watch it more on digital screens than real life.

We are an entertainment driven culture. Everyone listens to music, yet doesn’t want to take the time to learn their own instrument. Everyone watches movies, yet doesn’t want to take the time to read a book. Everyone goes to theme parks, yet doesn’t take the time to study their homework. Everyone texts, has a Facebook, a Myspace, or Twitters, yet doesn’t want to invest in true biblical fellowship. As Jessica mentioned in the last post, God created us to be fully satisfied by Himself. Are these things lending themselves to drawing us closer to God? Which do you think does this more; a movie with Zac Effron, or a book by John Piper?

“Wait, Janelle. Are you saying that I can’t go and see a movie just for the sheer frivolity of seeing a movie? What’s wrong with being entertained?” If you are asking this question, you should ask yourself if you are looking for a way out. Obviously I will say that nothing is wrong with that. I am simply challenging the idea that, as young adults, we have to be constantly entertained. We ARE constantly entertained, and without much brain-power going into it. Listening to a bland country song about fried chicken is not wrong, but it also doesn’t stimulate your mind or draw you closer to God.

This is a challenge. On one hand, there are some pretty amazing movies out there that have really effected me. Movies like Amistad or Amazing Grace have instilled in me a hatred of slavery and an admiration for those who stood against it (side note: any reference I make to something I have seen is not necessarily a recommendation to go and see it!) Other movies like Defiance or A Beautiful Life have affected me regarding the injustice of racial or religious intolerance. Yet others like Mississippi Burning or The Long Walk Home cause me to be thankful that my kids won’t grow up being taught that they are somehow superior or better than others because they were born a certain skin color.

On the other hand, there are some movies that have absolutely no value to them. I watched Nacho Libre and laughed my head off, but was there any value to the two hours I spent looking at Jack Black being hilarious? How about movies that are provocative, or have a lot of language…you get what I’m saying.

I must say I’m not a very good example in this area. Far too often I choose a movie over what is important, like getting homework done or spending time with my family. So here is my challenge; next time you are bored, pick up a book instead of a DVD. Next time a movie comes out that looks really awesome, screen it before you see it. And if it doesn’t look edifying…don’t go see it! Or, at least wait until you can rent it and see it with your mom and dad. Next time your friends ask what you want to do tonight, suggest putt-putt or bowling. You might find that your friendships take on a new facet, or that your parents start complimenting you on how you are growing in your relationships with people, and not your knowledge on who is acting in what movie.

--Janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment